2020 marks the 10th anniversary of Instagram. And what a milestone has it achieved: over 1 billion people use Instagram all over the world.
Looking back, I’m sure many of you still remember that in the early days Instagram was an app mainly used by photographers and photography enthusiasts to share travel photos.
Today, Instagram is an integrated platform for businesses, influencers and shoppers alike. With a number of business tools and e-commerce features - you might want to consider using Instagram for your business too.
But how do you know if Instagram is the right platform for your business?
We’ve gathered a series of Instagram stats and demographics that hopefully can help you get a better image of who is using the platform. These stats will help you plan and decide whether Instagram is the right fit for your business.
Here are the top Instagram statistics you need to know in 2020 #
#1. Instagram Usage Statistics #
Let’s look at the usage statistics and see how Instagram compares with other social media platforms.
- 1 billion people use Instagram every month. The graph below shows the most popular social media platforms and their number of monthly users.
- 500 million people use Instagram Stories every day.
- 25 million businesses are using Instagram in 2020.
- Instagram is the 3rd most downloaded app on Apple Store and the 4th across all mobile devices. The platform has also maintained its position in the top 4 apps for the 4th year in a row.
Source: Visual Capitalist
- Instagram users spend an average of 28 minutes daily on the platform. This is an increase from 27 minutes in 2019. For comparison, Facebook daily usage is expected to decrease in 2020.
- 75.3% of US businesses will use Instagram in 2020. This is only second to Facebook (81%). With more businesses joining Instagram, competition is likely to increase as well.
- Organic reach on Instagram has fallen down to 1-2%. This means that it’s not enough to post high-quality, engaging content on Instagram, but you’ll have to supplement it with ads in order to reach a larger number of your customers.
- The potential for advertising reach on Instagram is 849.3 million users. This indicates a 5.9% increase in reach from Q3 2019. With the organic reach reaching an all-time low, the advertising expenditure for brands is also expected to increase as a result of shopping posts and features on the Discovery tab.
- Instagram has a 10.7% share of social referrals to e-commerce sites. This is considerably less than Facebook (80%) but more than Pinterest (8.2%) and Twitter (0.3%). The low numbers are a result of the swipe-up story feature being exclusively available for accounts with 10k or more followers. Due to this, many businesses on Instagram find it more difficult to direct followers to their websites. However, businesses can use other Instagram features including Instagram ads or shoppable posts to convert their audience.
- 130 million Instagram users tap on shopping posts to learn more about products every single month. If you’re selling a physical product, you may want to try this feature.
- According to ShareMyInsights, the average engagement rate on Instagram is 3.65%. This is based on a sample size of 175,000 Instagram posts.
#2. Instagram Demographics #
Who uses Instagram in 2020?
The following chart shows the distribution of Instagram users worldwide as of January 2020, by age and gender.
Source: Statista 2020
- There is an almost equal split between the genders of Instagram users with 56.3% females and 43.7% males.
- The top 5 countries with the largest number of Instagram users are the following:
- The US: 120 million
- Brazil: 70 million users
- India: 69 million users
- Indonesia: 59 million users
- Russia: 40 million users
- Instagram has a young audience, with 65% of its users being aged 18 - 34 years old.
Source: Statista 2020
- Instagram is growing in popularity among teens. 72% of teens in the US. use Instagram, while 32% say Instagram is their favourite social media platform.
- Instagram has an engaged audience. 63% of Instagram users say they log in on the platform daily.
#3. Instagram Content Trends: #
ShareMyInsights analyzed 275,000 Instagram posts from 2019 and found the following content types:
- 79.13% image posts
- 11.05% video posts
- 9.82% carousel posts
- Stories stickers have been found to boost video performance 83% of the time. However, using more than 1 sticker in a story will only decrease your reach.
- How-to video tutorials are the most popular content on Instagram in 2020. Other popular content types include behind the scene posts, interviews and news.
- Posts with a location sticker get 79% more engagement.
- Photos with faces get 38% more likes.
- Posts with at least 1 hashtag get 12% more engagement.
#4. Fun Instagram Statistics Facts: #
- Instagram is now hiding likes in 7 countries including Canada, Italy, Japan, Brazil, Australia, New Zealand. This has impacted the way engagement is calculated on the app. So, having a powerful content strategy is more important in 2020.
- Data from ShareMyInsights (based on 275,000 posts) indicates that the number of likes per post declined in Q1 2020 compared to Q4 2019. Meanwhile, comments are going up. This suggests that Instagram is hiding likes from more users and they have started to leave more comments.
Above is the total likes from 275,000 Instagram posts
Above is the total comments from 275,000 Instagram posts
The average cost for a sponsored influencer post on Instagram varies based on the no. of followers an influencer has. For example:
- Micro-influencers (500 - 25k followers) make an average of $114 per video post, $100 for an image post and $43 for a story.
- Influencers (30k - 500k followers) make an average of $775 for a video, 507 for an image post and $210 for a story.
Source: Source: eMarketer
- The most popular hashtags in 2020 are: #love, #instagood, #fashion and #beautiful.
- The best times to post on Instagram are weekdays, especially Tuesday and Thursday.
- The IGTV standalone app has 7 million installs which are less than 1% of total Instagram app installs.
There’s no denying that Instagram is one of the most popular marketing platforms you can use in 2020.
Brands especially love Instagram because it has a large number of engaged users. If you want to start marketing your business on Instagram, you should take a look at these Instagram stats and see if your target audience is part of it.